Saturday, January 16, 2016

Mixie Picks from 2015 that will stick around for 2016

Hey Guys! 2015 has come to an end and, admittedly, I didn't have the time to do my annual Mixie Picks update.  But, thanks to the three day holiday weekend, I am able to tell you all about the things that got me through 2015 and will be sticking around for my 2016!

This year, I was relieved to see so much inspirational theatre.  We went through quite a dry spell (we all remember that Tony Awards ceremony with the live commercials for the shows coming next season...).  Here are the shows that inspired ME!

The King & I:  When I find myself conversing with a tourist who asks me what I do for a living, they usually end up asking me for advice about what to see here in NY while they're here.  I tell them ALL to see The King and I.  This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on Broadway. I even bought a poster!!! When I saw this show, I felt the 12 year old musical theatre nerd in me come back to life.  The set, the choreography, the open pit... it was thrilling to see and I can't wait to go back.  And this is my favorite Kelli O'hara performance as of yet.




Image result for the visit musical album art
The Visit: Now, my friends think I'm crazy for this, but I really liked The Visit.  This was a one-act musical about a woman who was shamed and exiled by her hometown for being a slut, basically, but she comes back the wealthiest woman in the world decades later. She offers to save the town from extreme poverty in exchange for one thing: the life of the man who caused her shame.  The musical tells the story of how the town deals with this offer.  I thought, while it was really weird, it was an interesting story and I enjoyed the music.




Image result for hunchback musical

Hunchback of Notre Dame: I was at my parents' house for Easter weekend and needed some alone time, so I decided to watch a bootleg that was available on youtube of the La Jolla production.  The music is BEAUTIFUL. And I have never been more excited for an album release (January 22nd!).  Highly recommend listening and trying to find videos of this one online.
Image result for adele radio city live

Adele Live at Radio City:  For those who are not impressed by Adele's latest album, I implore you to watch the concert on demand.  I wasn't really fazed by the music but watched the concert and now cannot stop listening.  And for those who are not sure about how to perform pop songs, this is a good one to watch.  Adele is feeling her music and 'jamming' while telling the story (I definitely needed to see the stories to appreciate listening to the songs).  And her voice is amazing live!





Image result for the jinx

The Jinx: This summer I couldn't go anywhere without hearing, "Have you watched The Jinx yet?"  If you like murder mysteries and have HBO Go, you should try this. It's a documentary in 6 episodes.







Image result for will it waffle jackson bird
Will It Waffle?:  I had a student who mentioned he is the host of a vlog so I checked it out and I am now addicted to it.  The concept of the show is Jackson will take suggestions of what to put in a waffle maker to see whether it will turn into a waffle.  While some of the suggestions are obvious yeses (eggs) or no's (jam), others will have you waiting the 3+ minutes to see whether it will, in fact, create a waffle shaped solid (bananas!, a happy meal!, etc!)  If you have some time to kill, check this one out. It's really fun.




Image result for veep
VEEP: Here is a binge watch for you.  It's filthy, smart humor and I think it deserves every Emmy it's ever received.  They have 4 seasons available on HBO Go now, and the 5th will be coming out soon! You can get through it all in one weekend if you really wanted to because the episodes are very short.






Image result for kor ginger and turmeric shots


Ginger/Turmeric Shots: These saved my life quite a few times this year.  Feel a cold coming on? Whole Foods carries this great little line of shots to take that will boost you back to your old self.








Image result for whorl inside a loop
Whorl Inside a Loop: As usual, I have to include SOMETHING with Sherie Rene Scott, but this is not an obligatory shoutout; I really enjoyed this production.  She and Dick Scanlan wrote this play about a woman who goes into a prison to teach drama classes and learns about the prisoners (and herself) through their own writings and storytelling.  I'm waiting for this script to be published so that I can read it because, like her cabarets also co-written by Dick Scanlan, the language can sometimes be a little poetic and there is a lot of symbolism to be missed if you can't experience it more than once.




Image result for hand to god show

Hand to God: Hilarious.  I was SCREAMING in the theater along with the rest of the audience. I don't think I've ever been so effected by a comedy before whether it be a movie, TV show or play. Again, it's filthy and often very inappropriate, and the subject matter is totally bizarre, but I LOVE it and can't wait to see it again.  I also love the addition of the subtitle "A New American Play" because, honestly, this show is so dysfunctional it really could only be American.


Image result for anytune app
AnyTune: This app that I just learned about is FANTASTIC for musical theatre people.  You can upload any recording and transpose into any key, and you can even slow it down or make it faster.  It's not free but it's definitely worth it!!!







So there you have it! My Mixie Picks for 2015 are here for you all to try! What were your favorites this year???

No comments:

Post a Comment