Monday, January 20, 2014

HOW I DIDN'T GET (AND AM NOT GETTING) SICK THIS YEAR

I'm not one for taking precautionary measures against getting sick but this year I didn't have health insurance and, as you can imagine, hearing words like, "Don't worry I'm on a Z-pack," or, "I'm not contagious," isn't very comforting.  As you can also imagine, I'm in a windowless room full of flying spit particles and carbon dioxide expelled by those suffering from sinus infections, strep throat and other lovely things ALL.  DAY. and I've probably built up an immunity from being exposed to so many germs… but this is how I've avoided catching your germs this year.  Yes, yours.  

SWEAT IT OUT:
When you feel something coming on, go do some cardio at the gym and get your blood circulating.  You'll get your system moving so it can fight whatever is going on and you'll sweat toxins out.  Spray the machines you use first and always wash your hands immediately after.  Other people sweated THEIR germs all over that machine, too.   For double trouble,  I put EmergenC in my water bottle.  

USE YOUR HUMIDIFIER:
NYC apartment heat in the winter is the worst but staying hydrated while you're sleeping will help big time.  I just bought a humidifier and I love it, and it's amazing how much moisture can be held IN THE AIR.  I pour a full Brita pitcher in there every night and it's gone by the morning!  This is the one I have.  $29 at Bed Bath and Beyond.






NETI POT AND STEAM BEFORE IT GETS BAD:
This might be my own little neurotic thing, but in my experience with the Vicks Personal Steamer, it's only made matters worse… I like to believe it's because the heat incubates all the germs.  But the Neti pot is great when you feel something coming on because the salt water will sterilize things and stop it before it really starts screwing with your system.  Plus what you're probably trying to treat with the steamer in the first place is your irritated throat which is really being caused by things dripping down from your nasal passages.  So get down to the root of the problem and exterminate the boogers with the Neti Pot.  

Now, you may be saying, "I could never do Neti Pot."  Honestly, it's a weird concept but it's very easy.  Just use distilled water so you don't have to panic about brain-eating amoebas.  (Look, even kids do it.  It's really not a big deal.) 


STERILIZE:
What I really like to use when I feel something coming on is the Netipot followed up with a good gargle of mouthwash that you would normally use after you brush your teeth. Again, maybe one of my little neurotic things but if it can kill germs in your teeth why wouldn't it be able to kill germs in your throat!






TAKE YOUR VITAMINS:
This is a no-brainer, but I started taking vitamins last year and I do think they've made a pretty big difference.  I take the High Potency Multi from Whole Foods.    






DON'T DRINK AND SNEEZE:
If you're getting sick, your body needs to put its attention on fighting those germs, not digesting alcohol.  So it might suck but just resist the urge to drink.  Instead…







DRINK THE GREEN STUFF:

OK.  I told myself I would never eat, never mind DRINK, kale.  I finally tried this and I actually didn't mind it… and not only does it work for when you're getting sick but it works for hangovers, guys.  Hangovers.   I've tried a few of them and I like the companies LoveGrace, Blue Dog, and even the Green Smoothie from Trader Joe's is pretty decent.  (The Trader Joe's one is the hangover cure, just so you know… not that I've needed it or anything...)


SLEEP:
Go to bed.  Seriously.  Your body needs it to fight off whatever's going on in there.  And don't forget to turn the humidifier on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment